Grasping guidance

Zumbrota-Mazeppa welcomes a new counselor to their staff.

School counselors play an important role in ensuring that students have excellent educational experiences. This school year at Zumbrota- Mazeppa High School a new guidance counselor named Mrs. Lockner was hired to work with grades 10-12. Mrs. Lockner has an interesting background because of all of the different schools she has worked at, and how many different grade levels she has worked with.

Mrs. Lockner came from Lourdes High School in Rochester, Minnesota last year as a 9th grade counselor, and before that she had taught at Albert Lea High School for three years as an 8th-12th grade counselor. She had about the same position at Lourdes High School besides grade differences, and now she works at the Zumbrota Mazeppa High School with students in grades 10-12.

Mrs. Lockner shared that her favorite part of her job is college and career planning. “I love helping you all figure out what makes you happy and what you want to do after high school.” Although she didn’t always know this is what career she wanted to pursue, she knew she wanted to help people. At first, she wanted to be a teacher and once she decided that wasn’t the right fit for her, she knew she wanted to work in education and work with high school students. She loves getting the opportunity to work individually with the students at Zumbrota helping them plan out futures as well as helping students navigate through the fun, but sometimes hard years of high school.

The students and staff at Zumbrota-Mazeppa are appreciative to have her around to help students find careers they might be interested in as well as colleges that could be the right fit for them. As of right now Zumbrota-Mazeppa has two counselors to help students, These counselors are Mrs. Lockner and Mrs. Hunstad. Mrs. Lockner tends to help students with college and career planning and Mrs. Hunstad helps the younger students at Zumbrota with social and personal development. All the Zumbrota-Mazeppa students are grateful for their patience and help